Vobster Quay is a popular inland dive site located in the heart of the Somerset countryside, approximately 5 miles from Frome and 4 miles from Radstock. Before divers came along it was previously a quarry.
TWe like to use Vobster to do some of the Ocean Diver qualification dives as well as the Sport Diver and Depth Progressions to 30m. It’s also good for a couple of leisurely refresher dives after a long period out of the water since we can more-or-less guarantee that the diving conditions will be great.
Frome is quite far from our club (about a 2 hour drive) so we often go to Vobster for weekend trips and fit in as many dives as we can manage (three a Day to adhere to BSAC Safe Diving Practices). There’s plenty of accommodation in the surrounding area, like Travelodges and B&Bs, but we’re quite fond of camping as it keeps the costs down and also enables us to have a big BBQ in the evenings (weather permitting!)
Parents are welcome to come along too and get too see what their kids are up to. Some even become divers themselves, our Chairman Mark Goacher for one!
The site facilities including:
- Parking (of which there is plenty)
- Changing Facilities (heated and have showers too!)
- Food (wide variety, all of it tasty)
- Cylinder Fills (Air, Nitrox and Trimix)
- Sheltered Areas (for that predictable British weather)
- Equipment Hire (for the forgetful… like myself)
- Equipment Servicing & Repairs
- Fully-stocked Dive Shop (comprehensive assortment of gear/parts for purchase/repair)
Vobster sports a staggering array of underwater attractions too, at a variety of depths. The Jacquin II, an awesome 15m long wooden cabin cruiser (great for a crash course in wreck diving) and my personal favourite, the aircraft wreck. A Hawker Siddley HS-748 split into 3 sections (the nose, fuselage and tail) all laid out in a line. There’s also a surplus of training platforms for practicing skills!